Race: Tour of Estonia, Stage 1
Start/Finish: Tallinn / Tartu, Estonia
Distance: 190 kilometers
Tartu, Estonia — Team Novo Nordisk’s Martijn Verschoor showcased his strength when he finished fifth on Stage 1 of the Tour of Estonia. Following the first stage, Team Novo Nordisk is first place in the team classification.
Friday’s 190-kilometer race featured two categorized climbs and two intermediate sprints before a flat finish into Tartu. A four-man break escaped 70 km into the day and was reeled in 20 km before the finish. Team Novo Nordisk rode well together heading into the finish in anticipation of a bunch sprint. Grzegorz Stepniak (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) took the win with Verschoor finishing in the same time. Verschoor is Team Novo Nordisk’s best-place rider overall in ninth place, 10 seconds behind Stepniak.
“To be honest, I wanted better than fifth and I know I have the form to do it,” Verschoor said. “I tapped my breaks with 100 meters to go and if I hadn’t hesitated, I believe I could have won.
Team Novo Nordisk continues racing at the two-day Tour of Estonia with the final stage on Saturday. Stage 2 is a 144-km circuit around Tartu and features 15 laps around a 9.6-km course.
- 1st: Grzegorz Stepniak (CCC Sprandi Polkowice): 4:03:24
- 2nd: Mihkel Raim (Cycling Academy Team): same time as Stepniak
- 3rd: Ludwig Bengtsson (Sweden National Team): same time as Stepniak
Team Novo Nordisk Results:
- Martijn Verschoor: 5th: same time as Stepniak
- Andrea Peron: 13th: same time as Stepniak
- Chris Williams: 18th: same time as Stepniak
- Charles Planet: 48th: same time as Stepniak
- Corentin Cherhal: 56th: same time as Stepniak
- Ruud Cremers: 81st: same time as Stepniak
(Photo: ©Tamru Haud)