Race: Czech Cycling Tour, Stage 4
Start/Finish: Olomouc / Dolany
Dolany, Czech Republic – Team Novo Nordisk’s Martijn Verschoor starred in main breakaway at Sunday’s Czech Cycling Tour finale.
Immediately following the starting gun, Verschoor, along with Kouvenhoeven Sjoerd (Metec KTH), Wietse Bosmans (beoban) and Kukrle Michael (Whirlpool-Author), pulled out in front, and before the first kilometer, the four-man group had formed the day’s breakaway.
The group eventually built a maximum gap of 5:30, and Verschoor was able to win two mountain sprints and one standard sprint, while Lampre – Merida controlled the peloton, looking to protect yellow jersey for race leader Diego Ulissi.
As the race entered nine final circuits, comprised of technical, 9-km laps on challenging pave´, the breakaway remained intact. But a full-gas peloton was determined to reel them in, at times reaching speeds over 65km/hr, and by the fifth lap, the advantage had dwindled to 0:45.
The break was finally caught with two laps to go, and the Team Novo Nordisk squad shifted its focus to putting climbers Javier Megias, David Lozano and Charles Planet into position for the steep finale.
At the final lap, an elite group of just over 20 riders emerged, which included Megias and Lozano. “I was working to put Javi into position on the final sprint, because he’s faster than me,” Lozano said, “But when I saw that he was blocked on the side of the road, I did what I could to get in the best position possible.”
Baptiste Planckaert (Wallonie – Bruxelles) took the stage win, and Lozano finished best for Team Novo Nordisk at 14th, finishing at the same time as Planckaert. Diego Ulissi (Lampre – Merida) defended his yellow jersey and claimed the overall victory.
“Our goal was to get in the break and to set up Javier, David and Charles for the finale,” said Team Novo Nordisk SVP of Athletics and GM, Vassili Davidenko said, “so today, we accomplished 99% of our goals”
- 1st: Baptiste Planckaert (Wallonie – Bruxelles): 3:48:42
- 2nd: Wouter Wippert (Cannondale-Drapac Pro Cycling Team): “
- 3rd: Ivan Garcia Corrtina (Klein Constantia): “
Team Novo Nordisk Results:
- 14th: David Lozano: “
- 27th: Javier Megias: “
- 40th: Charles Planet: 0:26 behind Planckaert
- 85th: Andrea Peron: 7:43 behind Planckaert
- 102nd: Chris Williams: 13:07 behind Planckaert
- 104th: Martijn Verschoor: “
- 111th: James Glasspool: 25:08 behind Planckaert
- DNF: Brian Kamstra
- 1st: Diego Ulissi (Lampre – Merida)
- 2nd: Sebastian Langeveld (Cannondale-Drapac Pro Cycling Team)
- 3rd: Davide Rebellin (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
Team Novo Nordisk Overall Results:
- 30th: Javier Megias: 4:28 behind Ulissi
- 44th: Charles Planet: 7:20 behind Ulissi
- 51st: David Lozano: 10:59 behind Ulissi
- 95th: Andrea Peron: 26:53 behind Ulissi
- 102nd: Martijn Verschoor: 30:58 behind Ulissi
- 107th: Chris Williams: 32:17 behind Ulissi
- 111th: James Glasspool: 54:17 behind Ulissi