Race: Philadelphia International Cycling Classic
Start/Finish: Philadelphia/Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Distance: 189.1 kilometers
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania — Team Novo Nordisk raced Sunday at the 32nd Philadelphia International Cycling Classic, a 178-kilometer race that finished atop the famed Manayunk Wall.
The riders tackled nine laps around the 19.7-km course, which featured two additional, smaller climbs before the 17 percent climb up Manayunk. On the third descent off the Wall, several riders attacked. Eventually, 14 riders formed a breakaway group and they rode out front until the final lap. The final lap shattered the peloton and an elite, front group formed. In the end, the race came down to a trio of riders with Eduard Prades (Caja Rural) taking the win.
“We raced really well together heading into the final few laps, especially Martijn, Stephen, Nico and myself,” Kevin De Mesmaeker said. “But the final lap completely blew apart the race. I was happy to see my form is coming back and I hope to perform well at the upcoming Canadian races.”
Team Novo Nordisk returns to racing Monday at the Tour de Korea with Stage 2. The 235.2-km race begins in Gumi and features two categorized climbs before a downhill finish into Gunsan.
- 1st: Eduard Prades (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA)
- 2nd: Travis McCabe (Holowesko-Citadel p/b Hincapie Sportswear)
- 3rd: Marco Canola (UnitedHealthCare)
Team Novo Nordisk Results:
- Nicolas Lefrancois: 61st: 3:28 behind Prades
- Stephen Clancy: 68th: 3:29 behind Prades
- Martijn Verschoor: 83rd: 4:10 behind Prades
- Kevin de Mesameker: 84th: “
- Mehdi Benhamouda: 110th: 12:41 behind Prades
- Gerd de Keijzer: DNF
- Brian Kamstra: DNF