Race: Jayco Herald Sun Tour, Stage 2
Start/Finish: Yarra Glen / Moe, Australia
Distance: 144.2 kilometers
Stage 2 of the Jayco Herald Sun Tour was a 144.2-kilometer run from Yarra Glen to Moe. Friday’s stage featured three categorized climbs in the middle before a steep one-kilometer climb situated seven km from the finish. The race began with a two-man break but Chris Harper (State of Matter / MAAP) ended up out front alone over the ensuing climbs. Once reeled in, a new break emerged but the race was all together with 10 km to go. The high pace and strong winds splintered the peloton into several groups. The finish came down to a group of three riders with Caleb Ewan (Orica-GreenEDGE) taking the victory.
“The riders rode well together throughout the early climbs, but it was the last climb and the final circuit that really shattered the peloton. There was an intense crosswind heading into finish followed by a hard headwind. Brian Kamstra (NED) managed to minimize the gap and I think he really gained some experience racing in these conditions today,” Team Novo Nordisk Sport Director Pavel Cherkasov said.
- 1st: Caleb Ewan (Orica-GreenEDGE)
- 2nd: Tanner Putt (United HealthCare)
- 3rd: Peter Kennaugh (Team Sky)
Team Novo Nordisk Results Stage 2:
- Brian Kamstra: 50, 2:38 behind Ewan
- Scott Ambrose: 62, 5:06 behind Ewan
- Chris Williams: 72, 10:29 behind Ewan
- Corentin Cherhal: 74, 10:29 behind Ewan
- James Glasspool: 77, 10:29 behind Ewan
- Gerd de Keijzer: 82, 10:29 behind Ewan
(Photos: ©Con Chronis)