Did you know that Team Novo Nordisk has a sister organization? Founded by Team Novo Nordisk CEO and co-founder Phil Southerland and his wife, Dr. Biljana Southerland, The Team Type 1 Foundation fights for the right to live through a global mission of education, empowerment and equal access to medicine for everyone affected by diabetes.
TT1’s Sustainable Diabetes Care Program saves lives in third-world countries by providing glucose meters, test strips, and diabetes management education to thousands who would otherwise suffer debilitating complications and early death.
We are proud to report that, to date, we have provided the people of Rwanda 2.2 million test strips and 1,750 glucose meters. More importantly, the supplies and education we have offered have dropped the collective A1C of people with diabetes in Rwanda from 10% to 8.9%.
The Global Ambassador Scholarship Program makes heroes out of today’s college students living with diabetes. Our scholarship program recognizes athletes with type 1 diabetes who are using sport as a platform to educate, empower, and inspire those around them with diabetes. The awarded funds also offset the financial burden diabetes care places on families.
All TT1 Global Ambassadors meet the following criteria:
- Attend a NCAA or NAIA institution
- Play a competitive sport for their school
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher
And, they take a leadership role in their local community by:
- Leading by example with responsible diabetes management
- Competing at the top of their sport, inspiring others to be active and strive for increased levels of health and fitness
- Mentoring young children and the newly diagnosed – with the purpose of ensuring they know diabetes does not have to stop anyone from pursuing their dreams
- Advocating for patient rights and equal access to medicine for everyone affected by diabetes, including those in third-world countries
Hunter Sego is a tenured Global Ambassador that exemplifies TT1’s mission. Learn more about him and his impact here.
For the 2017 – 2018 school year, 106 inspirational student athletes like Hunter have been awarded $140,000 in scholarships. We cannot wait to see the impact they will have! Read more about Hunter here.
The Team Type 1 Foundation’s aspirational goal is to disprove all common diabetes stigma. We strive to create a world in which every person with diabetes has adequate access to diabetes management education and treatment and knows, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that their goals and dreams are achievable. We strive to inspire… and prove what’s possible.
For more information on the Team Type 1 Foundation and its programs, please visit: www.teamtype1.org