Race: Volta ao Algarve, Stage 4
Start/Finish: Sao Bras de Alportel/Tavira, Portugal
Distance: 194 kilometers
Team Novo Nordisk’s Charles Planet starred in the main breakaway on Saturday’s Stage 4 of the Volta ao Algarve while teammate Andrea Peron sprinted to a top 15th finish.
“My goal was to get in the break and I lined up from the start with that in mind. When the first attacks went, I was in there and I thought we had made it. Then I heard on race radio that we were all back together,” Planet said. “I waited a few moments and then I attacked again with two other riders. Eventually another rider bridged up and we raced well together until Adam Stachowiak (VERVA ActiveJet Pro Cycling Team) attacked the break with around 50 km to go. I caught his wheel and we stayed out front just the two of us as long as possible.”
Planet and Stachowiak were caught inside the final 10 km, which set the stage for an uphill bunch sprint. Marcel Kittel (Etixx-Quick Step) took the win.
- 1st: Marcel Kittel (Etixx-Quick Step),4:46:35
- 2nd: Wouter Wippert (Cannondale Pro Cycling Team), ST
- 3rd: Jens Debusschere (Lotto Soudal), ST
Team Novo Nordisk Results Stage 4:
- Andrea Peron: 15, 0:05 behind Kittel
- Martijn Verschoor: 57, 0:05 behind Kittel
- Javier Megias: 94, 0:05 behind Kittel
- David Lozano: 115, 0:05 behind Kittel
- Stephen Clancy: 127, 0:27 behind Kittel
- Joonas Henttala: DNS