Verschoor Snags Top 10 at Tour de Beauce Opener
15 June 2016
Race: Tour de Beauce, Stage 1
Start/Finish: Saint-Georges / Saint-Georges, Canada
Distance: 185 kilometers
Saint-Georges, Canada — Team Novo Nordisk’s Martijn Verschoor earned his fourth top 10 of the season when he sprinted to 10th place on Stage 1 of the Tour de Beauce.
Wednesday’s stage featured strong winds throughout the 185-kilometer stage. Three riders attacked early and were soon joined by four additional riders. The seven-man group quickly gained a gap of seven minutes. With five kilometers remaining, the gap was down to a minute and a half. Heading up the final hill to the finish, the race came back together with Mihkel Räim (Cycling Academy Team) taking the win. The final climb caused gaps throughout the peloton and Verschoor finished 10th, 1:16 behind Räim.
“Following a lot of racing this past month and a half, my legs weren’t as good as I would have liked,” Verschoor said. “Joonas (Henttala) stayed with me in the front group heading into the really hard finish, but we weren’t able to catch the five guys up front. Hopefully Joonas will have good legs tomorrow for the mountain stage. We will be all racing for him.”
Team Novo Nordisk continues racing on Thursday with Stage 2 of the Tour de Beauce. The 170-km stage begins in Lac-Mégantic before climbing up to the summit of Mount Mégantic.
- 1st: Mihkel Räim (Cycling Academy Team): 4:28:26
- 2nd: Gregory Daniel (Axeon Hagens Berman): same time as Räim
- 3rd: Chad Beyer (Lupus Racing Team): 0:02 behind Räim
Team Novo Nordisk Results:
- Martijn Verschoor: 10th: 1:16 behind Räim
- Joonas Henttala: 23rd: 1:16 behind Räim
- Stephen Clancy: 67th: 11:38 behind Räim
- Nicolas Lefrançois: 68th: 11:38 behind Räim
- Gerd de Keijzer: 74th: 11:38 behind Räim
- Kevin De Mesmaeker: 75th: 11:38 behind Räim
- Brian Kamstra: DNF