Rain Lets Up for PostNord Danmark Rundt Finale
16 September 2017
Race: Tour of Denmark, PostNord Danmark Rundt, Stage 5
Start/Finish: Ebeltoft/Aarhus, Denmark
Distance: 198 kilometers
Aarhus, Denmark — The rain finally relented for the final stage of the PostNord Danmark Rundt. The riders set off from Ebeltoft for a 198-kilometer run that ended with seven laps around Aarhus. For the first time throughout the five-day stage race, rain only fell on the peloton for a brief 10 minutes.
The day saw a seven-man breakaway earn more than a five-minute advantage but as the chasing peloton brought it down to within a minute, Martin Mortensen (ColoQuick Cult) attacked and only a few of his initial breakaway companions could find his wheel. Once this break was reeled in, several new attacks followed but the race came down to a 30-man front group taking on the sprint with Max Walscheid (Team Sunweb) securing the stage win. Mads Pedersen (Trek-Segafredo) took the overall race victory.
“Like every day this week, it was really hard to get in the breakaway. We also had rain for at least 10 minutes, which was at least less than the other days. In the end, I went full gas for the last lap to help the guys for position in the last lap. Aarhus was a good finish, but I have to admit that I missed the finish in Copenhagen with all of the Novo Nordisk fans.”
While the world’s first all-diabetes pro cycling team is finished at the PostNord Danmark Rundt, the team continues at the Tour of China. Sunday’s final Stage 5 is a 128.5-km race with a start and finish in Anshun.
- 1st: Max Walscheid (Team Sunweb): 4:44:10
- 2nd: Mads Pedersen (Trek-Segafredo): same time as Walscheid
- 3rd: Michael Carbel Svendgaard (Team Virtu Cycling): same time as Walscheid
Team Novo Nordisk Results:
- Charles Planet: 24th: same time as Walscheid
- David Lozano: 37th: same time as Walscheid
- Fabio Calabria: 69th: 0:22 behind Walscheid
- Joonas Henttala: 70th: 0:22 behind Walscheid
- Romain Gious: 78th: 0:22 behind Walscheid
- Martijn Verschoor: 103rd: 3:59 behind Walscheid
- Javier Megias: DNF
(Photos: ©René Vigneron)