Verschoor Scores Top 10 at Tour of Taihu Lake
09 November 2016
Race: Tour of Taihu Lake, Stage 4
Start/Finish: Wujiang/ Wujiang, China
Distance: 117.4 kilometers
Wujiang, China — Team Novo Nordisk’s Martijn Verschoor sprinted to sixth place on Wednesday’s Stage 4 of the Tour of Taihu Lake.
The circuit race took place on a flat course around Wujiang, yet the peloton had to battle continuous winds on the 117.4-kilometer course. A two-man breakaway escaped 50 km into the day, but the duo was reeled in five km from the finish. In the ensuing sprint finish, Nicolas Marini (Nippo-Vini Fantini) took the win with Verschoor finishing in the same time.
“The final kilometer was very hectic and I had to fight going into the barriers multiple times so I never was able to fully open up my sprint,” Verschoor said. “I still think I’m capable of more and I’m hungry to finish the season with a podium.”
Team Novo Nordisk, the world’s first all-diabetes pro cycling team, continues racing at the Tour of Taihu Lake with Thursday’s 148-km stage that begins in Nantong before an expected sprint finish in Haimen.
- 1st: Nicolas Marini (Nippo-Vini Fantini): 2:40:28
- 2nd: Jakub Mareczko (Wilier-Southeast): same time as Marini
- 3rd: Leonardo Duque (Delko Marseille Provence KTM): same time as Marini
Team Novo Nordisk Stage 4 Results:
- Martijn Verschoor: 6th: same time as Marini
- Quentin Valognes: 13th: same time as Marini
- Gerd de Keijzer: 19th: same time as Marini
- Corentin Cherhal: 81st: same time as Marini
- Chris Williams: 83rd: same time as Marini
- Rik van IJzendoorn: 86th: same time as Marini
(Photos: ©Anne Wu)