Verschoor Finishes 11th at Tour of Taihu Lake
10 November 2016
Race: Tour of Taihu Lake, Stage 5
Start/Finish: Nantong / Haimen, China
Distance: 148 kilometers
Haimen, China — Team Novo Nordisk sprinter Martijn Verschoor finished just outside the top 10 at 11th place on Thursday’s stage 5 of Tour of Taihu Lake.
After missing the breakaway, the young Team Novo Nordisk squad worked to create a train to protect the veteran Verschoor for the final sprint.
“The team rode very well and we did an amazing job,” Verschoor said. “But at the last corner, with 800 meters to go, the group skidded and lost several positions. We suffered a bit due inexperience, but the team’s commitment is at 100%. After the corner, I started to chase the leaders at the front and managed to come in just outside the top 10.”
Eduard Michael Grosu (Nippo – Vini Fantini) won the day, and Verschoor came in 11th, with the same time as the winner.
“I am kind of disappointed,” Verschoor said, “because I know we can do much better. Still, the commitment of my teammates, Gerd de Keijzer, Rik van IJzerdoorn, Chris Williams and Quentin Valognes, gives me a lot of hope and this is a good way to learn.”
Team Novo Nordisk, the world’s first all-diabetes pro cycling team, continues racing at the Tour of Taihu Lake with Friday’s 117.1-km stage that begins in Yancheng Park and finishes Mingdu Haoge international Hotel.
- 1st: Eduard Michael Grosu (Nippo – Vini Fantini): 3:20:01
- 2nd: Tino Thömel (RTS – Monton Racing): “
- 3rd: Jakub Mareczko (Wilier – Southeast): “
Team Novo Nordisk Stage 4 Results:
- 11th: Martijn Verschoor: 6th: same time as Marini
- 35th: Gerd de Keijzer: same time as Marini
- 39th: Rik van IJzendoorn: same time as Marini
- 44th: Quentin Valognes: same time as Marini
- 106th: Chris Williams: 83rd: same time as Marini
- Corentin Cherhal: 81st: DNF
(Photos: ©Anne Wu)