Williams Powers to Top 10 in Tour of Taihu Lake Prologue
05 November 2016
Race: Tour of Taihu Lake, Prologue
Start/Finish: Wuxi/Wuxi, China
Distance: 5.9 kilometers
Wuxi, China — Team Novo Nordisk’s Chris Williams earned his first professional top 10 finish in a time trial when he finished 10th on Saturday’s Tour of Taihu Lake Prologue.
Saturday’s individual time trial was a 5.9-kilometer race against the clock through Wuxi. The flat out-and-back course featured only four turns. Oleksandr Golovash (Minsk Cycling Club) laid down the fastest time in 07:12. Williams finished nine seconds back.
“Today was my first UCI top 10 in a time trial and what is surprising is that I actually started the day aiming for a top 15,” Williams said. “I am still recovering from the virus I had in Hainan, so this was a nice way to start the race. Now we will begin stage 1 with good caravan position and hopefully that’ll help the team.”
Team Novo Nordisk, the world’s first all-diabetes pro cycling team, continues racing at the Tour of Taihu Lake with Sunday’s 111.3-km Stage 1 that begins and ends in Wuxi.
- 1st: Oleksandr Golovash (Minsk Cycling Club): 07:12
- 2nd: Karim Khorrami (Tabriz Petrochemical CCN Team): 0:04 behind Golovash
- 3rd: Cameron Bayly (Attaque Team Gusto): 0:04 behind Golovash
Team Novo Nordisk Prologue Results:
- Chris Williams: 10th: 0:09 behind Golovash
- Martijn Verschoor: 43rd: 0:23 behind Golovash
- Gerd de Keijzer: 89th: 0:39 behind Golovash
- Rik van IJzendoorn: 94th: 0:40 behind Golovash
- Quentin Valognes: 99th: 0:43 behind Golovash
- Corentin Cherhal: 126: 1:03 behind Golovash
(Photos: ©Anne Wu)