Race: Tour of Utah, Stage 4
Start/Finish: IM Flash /Kearns, Utah
Distance: 154 kilometers
Kearns, Utah — Thursday’s Stage 4 of the Tour of Utah was another hot one on the bike with temperatures again reaching around 38 Celsius. While the 154-kilometer stage didn’t feature as much climbing as previous stages, it also didn’t include any flat sections.
An eight-man break escaped 20 km into the day. With 50 km remaining, the break started to splinter, and as the race reached the finishing laps around Kearns, everything came back together. Several counterattacks ensued but the race finished in a bunch sprint with Travis McCabe (Holowesko Citadel presented by Hincapie Sportswear) taking the win.
“The race started fast, but once the break went, things got a little easier,” Team Novo Nordisk’s Stephen Clancy said. “Due to the winds, you always had to be paying attention. Once the peloton decided to reel in the break, the pace skyrocketed. It all came down to the circuits. We all survived, were safe and are ready to race again tomorrow.”
Team Novo Nordisk, the world’s first all diabetes pro cycling team, continues racing at the Tour of Utah on Friday with Stage 5. The 182.6-km day begins in Antelope Island Stage Park and features four categorized climbs before a downhill finish into Bountiful.
- 1st: Travis McCabe (Holowesko Citadel presented by Hincapie Sportswear): 3:23:47
- 2nd: Kiel Reijnen (Trek-Segafredo): same time as McCabe
- 3rd: Lucas Sebastian Haedo (UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team): same time as McCabe
Team Novo Nordisk Overall Results:
- Javier Megias: 54th: same time as McCabe
- Stephen Clancy: 65th: same time as McCabe
- Gerd de Keijzer: 73rd: 0:32 behind McCabe